Getting Back on Track

Okay, since there is no such thing as normal, I am not there, but I am getting back in my routine. It seems that I have been living an almost different life for the past 7-8 days. I’ll try here to recap and expound on what’s been going on.

First, I have to say THANK YOU for all the well wishes and prayers of the medical issues that have been going on.

Kidney Stones
Wednesday morning, I had left the house a little late and I get a phone call from a friend. I had just called work to let them know that I was on my way (I was really late) and was listening to the message when she said,

“Call me as soon as you get this.”

So I called and told her that I got her message and what was the problem.

“I have severe abdominal pain,” she weakly said.

“Do You want me to take you to the emergency room?” I asked thinking that this person has a fairly high pain tolerance.


“Okay, I am on my way. Let me make a few calls” I replied.

Off to the Emergency Room we went. Being midday on Wednesday, there wasn’t a whole lot of action going on around there. We got in, vitals checked, blah blah blah. A nice cocktail was given for the pain and wah-la A New Person. The MRI confirmed the presence of the stones and so we were discharged with instructions and some prescriptions. Everyone is back to normal and I got out of having to go to work!

Pleural Rub

I think the first time that I had feeling that something wasn’t quite right with me was Tuesday, but I really didn’t think much of it. I took some sinus medication to try to dry anything up that might be the culprit.

Wednesday, the rub was there but I didn’t think much of it given that circumstances beyond my control had my attention.

Thursday, it was there and so I was thinking “Hmmm, this feels like pneumonia… it rattles like pneumonia… it clamps down like pneumonia, but what’s this localized sore spot?” So, I started to treat it like a respiratory ailment. I did the normal protocol for when I have pneumonia, expectorant, decongestant, pain reliever, bronchial dilate. Nothing changed and anything that I could cough up was white and my drainage was clear.

So, off to Sherlock Holmes mode… so it feels like pneumonia, but I wasn’t sick. Hadn’t been sick other than allergies the previous Friday/Saturday and there was a localized soreness. Okay, maybe it’s muscular.

Friday, It’s muscular… so the regiment for that is massage, small amount of heat and topical ointment (e.g. Tiger Balm). The heat has the best results. The rattling went away for a while but returned the next morning at the same intensity. Hmm… so maybe it is respiratory.

Saturday, I decided to use my kids nebulizer and high powered bronchial dialator and see what happens. Well, the rattling subsided some and I had a headache. Bleh! SO maybe it’s NOT respiratory… or

“It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet

maybe it’s BOTH! Maybe I have pneumonia AND something else. However, the birth of my ingenious diagnosis was thwarted from the fact that the after hours clinic was closed and entertaining the idea of going to the Emergency Room with 2 kids was not sounding very exciting. I didn’t feel sick, so I could make it through Saturday and Sunday and go in Monday.

Sunday, The temperature on Easter was colder than our Christmas Day temperature. I am sure that many of you experienced the same thing. Jet Stream, they say…

I felt fine (with the symptoms). I observed that if I just sat calmly, the rattling only occurred when I took a deep breath (hmmm, not pneumonia), but it was present every time (hmmm, pneumonia). It felt like a clamp on my lungs when I breathed (hmmm, pneumonia) but I wasn’t tired/winded from being outside with kids or sprinting up the stairs (hmmm, not pneumonia)[ed. yes, I sprint up stairs, 2 at a time].

Monday, well, you know how that went… into the doctors… out with a diagnosis. I’m taking a NonSteroid Anti Inflammatory drugs (NSAID) called Mobic for the next 8 days to reduce the swelling. I don’t have any restrictions on my exercise level, but I am taking it kind of easy right now. I’ll probably workout on Wednesday to “feel the rub” and see what happens… hey, it’s all about collecting data. I’ll go back on Wednesday for a follow-up.


I have 0 miles for April. Nothing. Not sure what this will do to my goal of of my 5k time. I think there is still a possibility for my 10k time (Expo 10k) but not so much for my 5k time (Run for the Deaf 5k). I guess we’ll see what I am made of, which currently is Cabdury Minieggs and Peanut Butter M&Ms.


I have 3 things on the board. One is my account of the Knoxville Marathon as the Official Switch Checker. I’m not sure that it warrants audio clips from the marathon, but it definitely has a narrative to bring it some life.

Second, is some audio that I am going to record for Phedippidations for an upcoming episode.

Third, I am going to send MarathonChris a short (really short) audio for her to use in her podcast.

But before those, I need to catch up on my podcast library. I am (too far) behind on Dump Runner’s Club and Missionary Talks. And I am sinking in back episodes of Endurance Planet now that they are back online.


I have a ton of pictures that I have to “process”… I hope to get back on track with the 365Days either today or tomorrow. I am thinking of upgrading my Flikr and making it my “photoblog”, it seems to more global. I might move those few picture albums that I have for Planet3rry to Picasa Webalbums… lots of things to consider. I didn’t participate in last week’s Photo Hunters submission, but will get something up this week.

About planet3rry

I'm a husband, father and runner in the Knoxville area. I love the way that running makes me feel and how it has changed my thinking. I am always looking for the new PR whether in the 5k or the marathon