Busy Day

I have been on fire today and I don’t mean that I have “literally” been on fire. Of course I don’t… silly. But I have been very motivated today.

Let’s start off with this morning. My alarm clock (which is my annoying mobile phone alarm) goes off at 5am. I get up and turn it off (by only opening and closing the clam shell) and proceed to crawl back into bed. Hmmm, maybe that wasn’t a good example.

At 5:30, I look at the time (which is projected on the ceiling – something I find SO incredible useful) and think… maybe I should get up. Fast forward to 5:50 when Eric starts knocking on the door. Okay, now I am up.

I try to coax Eric back to bed by napping with daddy, which would allow me to close my eyes for just a little longer. Nope, the little dude is hungry and well, it’s time to cook some grits. But Eric wanted pancakes… how about oatmeal? I didn’t want to make pancakes, I made them yesterday. No to oatmeal, how about grits?

“Yeah, grits!”

I know, by memory, how to make grits with the microwave (If you have seen the movie My Cousin Vinny – I know, I know… I feel shame) in 4 minutes. Boom. However, with Eric and the other eating machine, I would be cooking all morning long, so on my last trip to Kroger, I recorded on my mobile phone, the instructions on how to cook more than one serving (on the stovetop). So, I made 4 serving of grits, which grits, if you have never cooked with them, are the temperature of the Sun when they are done. So, there is precious time from when they are done to the timer that is ticking in the patience of a sleep, hungry 3 yo.

Castatrophe diverted. Grits were applied to the eating orifice and the boy was happy. He even requested a second serving and since there was plenty in the pan, Ryan AND mommy were going to eat breakfast.

Okay, so that’s not really being “on fire” more than “doing what you gotta do”

After dropping Eric off at his school, I made it back to work to discover that there were a few hiccups in some of the planning for the forthcoming American Samoa trip. So, before my crappy computer could even get me the logon screen, I was already creating a fax packet of information for our travel agent.

My computer must have stayed out last night for too long, it was slow and groggy and wouldn’t open Word to save its life. In fact, once Word was open, I did kill it and let it restart. It’s much better now. So, I faxed in my changes, fielded a conference call, started to clear my desk (I can see part of it now) and even made it out to the Driver’s License station to get a new ID. The best part is that for the next 5 years, I get to display my 3 weeks of facial hair growth… and for those of you who actually know my ability to grow facial hair, you’ll be pleased to know that you can almost tell that I have facial hair and not just downed a big glass of chocolate milk before having the picture taken.

I took today as a rest day for running. My master vision is that I have tomorrow as a workout day… maybe swim but maybe run. And Saturday will be a long run day. If I can get 14 miles, then I will sign up for Big South Fork 17.5 miles trail run on October 7th… if I don’t then I won’t. I think I will look back at my training up to previous BSF trail races and see how much I have done previous. I know the last time I did the race I was hurting BIG time… could have been training related.

During my driving to get my driver’s license renewed, I re-discovered a route to prehaps make a nice running route during lunchtime. Something that takes me out on Volunteer Landing by kicks me out on the SouthEast side of Downtown and I can make my way back to campus. It’d be a nice change of scenery and should provide adequate mileage.

About planet3rry

I'm a husband, father and runner in the Knoxville area. I love the way that running makes me feel and how it has changed my thinking. I am always looking for the new PR whether in the 5k or the marathon